Old Man Game Development

Introduction & Status

Space colony resource strategy majiggins

Introduction & Status

Post by Mit » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:04 pm

Base Juliet is the game I (half-) created in order to start building up the cross-platform version of my 2d & 3d engines. It is based (loosely) on vague memories of an old Commodore 64 game in which you had to build up a colony on a distant moon, supplying the colonists with oxygen and supplies until they had enough things built to survive alone. So.. usual resource management stuff.. done much better on many occasions since no doubt, but it seemed like a nice little project and something that (even in its barely half-built form) kept me occupied on my phone for a few tube journeys.

To continue with this one I'd need some help from someone good at 2d graphics to do some icons and stuff, hence it currently looks like this :

Despite the lack of 2d graphics, the current development version has a chunk of the early stages of gameplay done.. you can launch a colony ship to the moon, there's a nice enough pace to the dynamic of R&D and resupply runs for the opening few minutes - if you're into that kinda thing. Usual opportunities for balancing profit, resource, etc. It all requires a bit of imagination, but it works well enough on the usual mobile devices as well as on windows, which is nice (and was the point).

There's a pile more work needed to expand the resource management phase and add in a whole bunch of polish (including 3d scenes of ships launching, landing, colonies building stuff etc). Later on I had in mind a rather interesting 'plot-twist' that means the game becomes something you wouldn't necessarily expect it to, but that's the sort of 'Later on' that will almost certainly never happen. (At least not until I'm fully retired and the garden needs no further tending :] ).

No download available for this at the mo, mostly because of the work required as mentioned above - it's too raw to play really - but if anyone has a particular interest in this kinda thing, lemme know and we'll see what we can sort out.

Return to Base Juliet